To be eligible for the waiver:
- You must meet Virginia’s Definition of Developmental Disability.
- You must meet the functional criteria for the VA Individual Developmental Disability Eligibility Survey (VIDES) Click to view the: VIDES Adult, VIDES Child, VIDES Infant
You do not have to apply for or be enrolled in Medicaid when you apply for a waiver.
Remember that parent/family income is never considered for Medicaid Waiver eligibility.
To utilize the waiver you must apply and qualify for Medicaid if you are not already enrolled in Medicaid.
To apply for the Developmental Disability Waiver services contact your local Community Services Board. The Community Services Board (CSB) staff will determine if you:
1. meet the definition of a developmental disability and
2. meet the functional criteria as assessed on the VIDES screening tool. ( VIDES Adult, VIDES Child, VIDES Infant)
The Waiver Assignment Process is coordinated by your local Community Services Board. Waivers are assigned based on support needs. Individuals who meet the eligibility criteria are placed on the needs based waiting list due to the limited number of waivers funded. It is not a chronological waiting list.
Advocacy Tips for individuals/families applying for the Waiver and on the Wait List:
Prepare for the DD Waiver Screening by reviewing the VIDES, and Priority Needs Checklist forms prior to the screening, so that you are prepared to report the information required to the Community Services Board screener/case manager.
This is a good time to contact The Arc of Virginia for assistance with the process. Call (804) 649-8481 x 104 or Email [email protected]
- When being assessed for the VIDES, describe how you/family member would perform if you/they have NO supports or services available: that means no parents, family or other caregivers around.
How would the child/adult perform the skills being assessed if they were completely alone in their home/community? Describe challenges. Do not sugar coat.
- Be sure to keep copies of the VIDES and Priority Needs Checklist, review for accuracy and report any changes while on the wait list.