The Individual and Family Support Program (IFSP) assists individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities and their family members currently on the waiting list for the Intellectual Disability Waiver (ID) or the Individual and Family Developmental Disabilities Supports Waiver (DD). The IFSP provides individuals and their families up to $3,000 in funds to support individuals’ ability to remain in their home or their family’s home.
IFSP funds can be used to support individuals in a variety of ways, including: respite care, transportation services, behavioral consultation and/or behavior therapy, companion animals, assistive technology and home modifications, goods or products that directly support the individual, temporary rental assistance or deposits, fees for summer camp and other recreation service, temporary assistance with utilities or deposits, dental or medical expenses of the individual, and family education, information, and training.
Funds will be provided on a first come, first serve basis in two separate funding and application periods.
Funding is being disbursed as follows:
- Period 1 (P1): September 15, 2014 – September 14, 2015 (application period ended 10/8/2014)
- Period 2 (P2): March 15, 2015 – March 14, 2016 (application to be made available in early 2015)
Each round of funding requires a separate application, and combined applications cannot exceed $3,000. The Virginia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services (DBHDS) has split the total available funds for the IFSP program equally between these funding periods. Individuals who are currently on the ID/DD Waiver waiting lists have been mailed an application from DBHDS for the first funding period. If you did not receive an application, you can access it here.
General guidelines for funding:
- Each round of funding requires a separate application.
- Funds are provided on a first come, first serve basis through the application process.
- Requested funds cannot exceed $3,000 across both funding periods. (i.e., P1: request $1,500 for use through 9/14/2015; and P2: request $1,500 for use from 3/15/2015 through 3/14/2016; total of $3,000 over both funding periods)
- Application must demonstrate that funds will pay for services needed by the individual.
- IFSP cannot be used to reimburse for services or supports previously paid for by the family or individual.
- Individuals are eligible if they receive the EDCD, Day Support, or Technology Assisted Waivers or are on the ID or DD Waiver Waiting Lists.
More information about funding guidelines can be found here.
Update from DBHDS (dated November 17, 2014) to the Arc of Virginia:
DBHDS has received over 3,000 applications for funding through the IFSP, and $1.5 million in funds to disburse. As of this update, over 100 applications have already been approved for the first funding period (September 15, 2014 – September 14, 2015). They anticipate that between 500 and 600 applications will be approved overall.
Given the volume of interest, the application review process has taken longer than expected, but DBHDS plans to have all approval letters sent out by the end of next month (Dec, 2014). Individuals and families who submitted applications that were not approved will be notified once all the available funds for this period have been exhausted.
To follow DBHDS updates about the IFSP, visit their website and click on the Individual and Family Support (IFSP) tab.